A Day Our Way!


One of my wonderful blogging buddies, Amelia had a wonderful idea to share "A Day Our Way". I'm always tweaking how my class schedule goes, and I'm curious to see everyone's schedules too! Here is a quick peek at my schedule and a further explanation below.


7:55-8:10: Students arrive for the day. Reminders are posted on the Apple TV about what to get ready for the day, upcoming events for the day, and that morning's morning work.

8:10-9:05: Reading Period 1. This period has students going through 3 rotations (each about 16-17 minutes each). One group is with me working on the skill of the week or book extension. The second group is with a paraprofessional reading through a novel or nonfiction work. The final group works with the special education teacher for additional phonics work (we use Rewards). This group structure is fast paced, but it's held the student's attention well, and they are getting more out of the class period than our whole class approach at the beginning of the year.

9:05-10:00 Reading Period 2. This is a large class period. Our reading is based mostly on novel studies, although I've supplemented with complementary nonfiction texts. Students come in and get started by logging on to My Big Campus. The days events are listed as well as the literature circle roles. The class dynamic is just really fun. This group is generally my guinea pig group, and I try new apps on them or new ways to use apps before implementing them in other classes. There is a lot of small group and independent time in this class period.

10:00-10:55 Communications Period 3
12:15-1:05 Communications Period 4

Both classes are set up the same. Students come in and begin on their Mentor Sentence task for the day. The format of the class changes; I try to be as active and hands on as possible. Often there is a pretest for the skill being covered on My Big Campus. Mini-lesson, student practice time, centers. However, I'm not a super scheduled person (well I am, but it's not evident in this class write up!) to have everything broken down; I alter the day's schedule to fit the tasks at hand.

10:55-11:20 Independent Reading. I try to read with a few students each day and keep them on track for their reading goals.

11:20-11:25 Wash for lunch, fill out reading log, line up.

11:25-12:00 Lunch and Recess

12:00-12:15 Homeroom time. Bathroom/drinks, fill out planners for the mornings events. Then in the last few minutes read, work on homework, sometimes have choice of a few different apps.

12:15-1:05 Communications Period 4-- Explained earlier

1:05-1:35 Cruise. Cruise times are for reading interventions. Whether that be small specific phonics skills or larger groups working on fluency and vocabulary. This is my first week working with vocabulary, I normally have a small phonics group, so I'm still figuring out the best set up for our little bit of time. More on this part of the day later.

1:35-1:50 Recess!

1:50-2:50. Elements. Students go to 2 different elements classes each day. Music, PE, Technology, Library, Art, Flex and Counselor. The schedule is set Tuesday through Friday, with Mondays alternating. During this time, we have collaborative planning for an hour each day. We are lucky, I know. It's a great time to get things done!

2:50-3:10. End of the day. Pack up and usually end the day with a read aloud or the occasional birthday party.

That is a brief look at my day. Be sure to link up a day your way too!


3 comments

  1. I love how you have recess scheduled every day. Our school doesn't schedule recess for us. Major bummer.

    Jennifer
    Elementary School Garden

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Apple TV?! I am SO jealous! Your day sounds wonderful and I loved seeing all of the amazing things you do! The Reading blocks sound great, too! Thanks for linking up :)

    Amelia
    wherethewildthingslearn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing all the different schedules. We tried calling our intervention time "Camp READ" one year, but it ended up going to the more technical iii.

    Jenny
    Suntans and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I also like to reply by email (so you can see my response). Please make sure that option is turned on in your profile settings so you can see my reply or leave your email address here! Thanks again for taking time to comment!!