Mentor Text Linky: The Flag We Love

Summer is just completely flying by! I cannot believe that this is the last week of June!

One of my favorite link-ups is with the great gals from Collaboration Cuties. With all of my books in disarray still from trying to get them all scanned in (this little project keeps getting bumped down on my to-do list), I've neglected to link up (too hard to try and remember a good book to share.) However, I've been to the library this week and I'm back with a great patriotic find; just in time to usher in July.








From the School Library Journal:
"A poetical history of the U.S. flag. Each double-page spread features a four-line, rhymed verse of mediocre quality and a box of well- and little-known trivia on the left, and a full-page painting on the right. The stronger illustrations include such moving scenes as the train carrying Lincoln's coffin, the Vietnam War Memorial, and an astronaut walking on the moon with a U.S. flag reflected in his visor."

With the upcoming holiday, I thought that this could be a good read to share. I enjoy Pam Munoz Ryan's books and this was one I hadn't discovered before. The illustrations do great to showcase the simple, yet moving poetic works. The trivia along the side adds a bit of fun along the way with more in depth information.



1 comment

  1. Fun! I forget to do things like this. I think I assume kids know a bunch of history when really a lot of them know hardly anything!

    I'm glad you got to link up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I also like to reply by email (so you can see my response). Please make sure that option is turned on in your profile settings so you can see my reply or leave your email address here! Thanks again for taking time to comment!!