Peace, Hope, Love, & Kindness


I had fully intended on joining this linky from the moment I learned of it. Some of my best blogging buddies, Joanne, Jivey, and the Collaboration Cuties had a wonderful idea: to share some of the good in the world, with all of the hard times that seem to be happening. Ideas swirled of stories of teachers and students in my building, then something happened.

Something always happens, doesn't it? Whether good or bad events happen that change, shape the way we plan things out. These events can be major for the nation, such as the events that transpired in Boston; or these events can rock the world of a new family.



Last week, a Vet Med student from K-State, a kid I had a class with in undergrad, became a new father. He and his wife were married just a short time before my husband and I and they were so excited. But something happened. During the growth and development, some sort of mutation occurred, and Landon is one of four children with a subdural hygroma; perhaps the only child born with this condition. Trent and Karen created a blog to document the little victories in Landon's life. As it stands doctors aren't fully sure of this little one's life expectancy. Trent is so transparent in his blog, and although I work with students with special needs and have other strong ties to individuals with disabilities as well, I cannot begin to imagine what this family is going through.

Trent shared something last night that I thought was fitting for this linkup. Trent is talking about the possibility of a gene mutation that could have caused the difficulties that Landon is facing.
"Upon finding out that Landon was a 'mutant', I joked to Karen that we should find Professor Xavier's number, we have a new member for the X-Men! In reality, I would love for Landon's mutation to have given him a superpower, a gift that would make him a world hero and role model. But maybe instead of the ability to fly or x-ray vision, Landon was given the power to teach us things we can never learn in a classroom: compassion, love, patience, and hope. To cherish the moments we have and the victories we win. To traverse our difficult times with grace and faith. Landon may not be able to jump over buildings. Realistically, he may never have the chance to learn to crawl, and yet, in my eyes, he is more of a hero to me than any comic book protagonist. If we could all embrace this lesson of love and benevolence, what need do we have of crime fighter? Landon's lesson is that we can all be heroes to someone else each day because we usually don't need saving from an evil mad scientist. Usually we need a hug, a kind word, a held door, or friend to reminisce with."

What a perspective and truly profound thought. Go be somebody's hero today.
 

If you would like to read more about this family. There blog can be found here.  Prayers would be appreciated, but if you feel the urge to do more, some of the K-State students have come together to support this family and built up a site to raise support, it can be found here.


7 comments

  1. Wow, what an incredible story! My heart goes out to this brave young couple. Thanks for sharing, Christy. I will be praying diligently for baby Landon.

    ~Jessica
    Joy in the Journey

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. This really puts things into perspective doesn't it? How wonderful. This story totally warmed my heart. Thank you so much for linking up!
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey


    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww. As a parent, I can not even imagine what they are going through and to see that the dad has such a positive perspective on what everything- that is really inspiring! They have a very difficult road ahead of them and I will pray for them.

    I honestly don't even have words for this...just inspiring...
    Thanks for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this very touching story...Landon is a hero and true reminder to all of us exactly what is important in life. Even though I don't know this little one...it certainly brought me chills reading his story. I will certainly be saying some prayers for this family.

    Amanda
    Learning to the Core

    PS I am your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful story Christy! It made me cry! So inspirational and touching! Thank you so much for sharing!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing like this kind of story to bring some perspective into my own life. Praying for baby Landon!

    Shannon
    I Run Read Teach

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I also like to reply by email (so you can see my response). Please make sure that option is turned on in your profile settings so you can see my reply or leave your email address here! Thanks again for taking time to comment!!